Friday, April 30, 2010

Licensed Professionals?

It started off simple enough. We were just going to put the boat in the water, and see whether or not the engine setup needed to be adjusted.

First thing, I needed to run the cable for the sonar up to the depth finder at the helm.  A ten minute job at best.  However, the cable was about 6 feet short, and an extension had to be ordered.  So, I moved the depth finder and mount from the dash to get it out of the way until the extension arrived.

Frankie needed to pick up a new Tahoe he had purchased, and left me to unbolt the foot from the engine so he could change the impeller in the water pump.  A simple enough job, especially since he had shown me all seven bolts.  I removed all the bolts, but the foot won't budge.  As it turned out, there were eight bolts.

After removing the foot from the engine, Frankie began to change out the impeller that moves cooling water through the engine.  I tried to assist, as Frankie insisted it was a simple job. (Editor's Note: That's exactly what he said about removing the bolts in the foot.)

We remounted the foot and hitched the trailer to Frankie's old truck. That seemed to go pretty well.  However, the truck's electrical plugs didn't match the hook up on the trailer. So, I was going to follow behind the boat as we went to the Citgo gas station.  No problem.

When we got to the gas station, Frankie went to the second entrance.  A median had been recently installed, and he wasn't able to turn in to the station.  So ..... presuming that I was still behind him doing what I was asked, Frankie took off down the road.  I darted out to find the same median issue. Which ... put me going the wrong way down a one way street.  Oh fun!  And, some of the locals were waving at me. Well ... they were signaling something with their hands, anyway.

As Frankie disappeared into the horizon, I got turned around and found him happily at the next station. We put gas in the boat and headed for the landing. What could possibly go wrong now?

At the landing, I parked to the side while Frankie backed the boat down the ramp to the water.  As the boat pitched over the edge and down the ramp, the hitch broke free from the ball on the truck. Thankfully, the safety chains caught the trailer and kept the boat from rolling down into the river.  The trailer had a 2 5/8" hitch and we had placed it on a 2' ball.  Not good!

After switching out tow balls to the proper size, the boat was easily off-loaded into the water.  Life was certainly good now!

While I rechecked our safety equipment, Frankie cranked the engine to see a solid, strong stream of water pushing out of the cooling pump.  A very good sign!  I cast off the line and pushed us out into the river.  Frankie exclaimed, "Let's see what she will do," and put the engine in gear.  In gear!  In gear? The engine would not go in forward, or reverse.  We were adrift!  Not so good!

Now the wind was carrying us out into the river and toward a rock jetty.  Frankie grabbed the anchor and pitched it out toward the landing. The anchor gripped the bottom, stopping the drift.  Frankie pulled on the anchor rope and started moving us in the direction of the landing.  As we would approach the anchor, he'd retrieve it and throw it back out as far as he could toward the landing.  We were about two good throws from the dock when someone (me!) thought it would be funny to ask an older gent nearby in a kayak to pull us in.  Obviously, the suggestion was absurd.  His vessel weighed 100 lbs. and we weighed 7000 lbs.  Apparently, he thought I was serious.  I 'should' have had the heart to tell him I was only kidding.

By the time he got the anchor line and tied it around himself, we were about ten throws away from the dock.  He headed out for the dock at full paddle speed.  About 70 ft. from the boat he hit the end of the anchor line.  (Editor's Note: Remember, he tied the line around himself, and he is in a ... kayak.)  He hit the end of the line, and his momentum, coupled with our drift in the opposite direction, jerked him completely out of the kayak.  Like a Looney Tunes cartoon character.  Except not as funny.  OK ... it was a little bit funny!

He struggled and failed several times to re-enter his kayak.  At one point he yelled out, "I'm in trouble here!" and asked for me to pull him to our boat so he could re-board.  When I got him along side, I stabilized his kayak and he climbed back in eager to continue his efforts on our behalf.  Again, I should have told him I was kidding.  Now, we are about fifteen anchor throws from the dock.  Things are really going good now!

He took off again with the rope while Frankie continued to chunk the anchor.  That's about the time we hear the sirens.  Apparently, the people on shore saw this man thrashing around in the water yelling, "I'm in trouble!"  They put two and two together and got 911.  That would be four rescue vehicles, including a fire truck and a rescue boat. You'd think that while they were already on site, they would have helped us.  You'd be thinking wrong!

Mr. Kayak eventually handed the anchor line to someone on the dock, and quite soon, the boat was back on the trailer and out of the water.  Thanks for the ... help?

Because things are going sooooo well, we decided to remove the foot from the engine right there at the landing.  Sliding the foot down from the engine Frankie spotted the problem...a simple misalignment of a pin.  (Editor's Note: Frankie had help originally mounting the foot from someone who shall remain nameless.)

With the foot reassembled, we backed the boat into the water, and prior to getting unhooked from the trailer, we tested the shift mechanisms.  And it worked!!!!  I fixed it!!!  No wait ... Frankie did that.  I did the other.

Within minutes we were underway.  And the engine ran great.  However, as we powered up, we saw that the engine needed to be moved up about eight inches.  And even though the engine was dragging in the water as if we were pulling a skier, the engine had lots of power.  That's what we needed to see.  So, it was back to the landing.

Frankie backed the trailer down the ramp and loaded the boat. That's when I heard the big bang and popping sound. (Editor's Note: This time I actually had nothing to do with this particular issue.)  It is my understanding that the drive shaft lying on the pavement is a bad thing.  However, Frankie bought a new Tahoe today, and that's a good thing.  About the same time we got the boat on the trailer and out on the water with his new Tahoe, the towing company was there to haul the senior truck back to the shop.

The next morning I discovered the full extent of my boat trailering expertise.  I said it was on the trailer.  I said nothing about it being on straight.  In fact, it is this exact angle that assists in rain water draining most efficiently from the starboard scupper. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now let me answer the most obvious questions.

1. No.  There was no alcohol involved.
2. Yes.  It is amazing that we have lived as long as we have without a crippling injury.
3. No.  You should not try these things at home.  Frankie and I are trained, licensed professionals.
4. Yes.  It is an embarrassment to the USCG that Frankie and I are licensed professionals.

(Editor's Note: After we get finished with this vessel, we will be free to work on other people's boats. Please form an orderly line.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers