Sunday, April 4, 2010

Slow Going. Really Slow.

Yesterday, we pulled traps at the low end of a spring tide, and made several observations.  One observation was no stone crabs.  When I say no, I actually should say only two in eleven traps.  Either the spring tide has them 'off' or they have moved either offshore or deeper inland.  So, we moved three of the traps closest to the ocean and reset them further inland. We caught one legal size male and a small guy with no claws.  Stone crabs can survive and feed with no claws but they are defenseless.  So, the kids decided to put him back in the trap so he would be safe from the red-fish and other predators.  He will have plenty to eat inside of the trap. And he will need plenty of energy to regenerate two new claws.  An interesting aside of the SCKs collective concern for his well-being is that we will get to watch as his claws begin to reform.

We continued to catch spider crabs, more this trip than ever before.  And, no mollusks after having hundreds per trap last week.

It took the SCK almost 4 hours to work 11 traps.  To offer some form of reference,  I use to pull and work 65-80 in that same length of time.  Soooo ..... the realization has set in ...... this venture will NOT be for profit.  Well, when I say no profit,  I should actually say that  the people I buy traps from will profit.  The folks I buy bait from will profit.  The gas station will profit.  But Capt. Dad .... he's gonna suck some serious wind!  Conclusion: We're just going to have fun!

I am still trying to get the SCKs organized as a team,  to hook the buoys,  teach them to handle the crabs,  and how not to get their feet tangled up in the ropes.  As we moved down the line of traps, I noticed that AnnahBelle was moving slower and slower.  During a break between traps I looked down and she had seven, like in the number '7,' spider crabs wrapped up in her shirt like an apron.  She was going to keep them for pets.  Yep, this is going to cost  Capt. Dad a small fortune.  But we will have fun building lots of memories!

Editors Note:  Spider Crabs are not suitable as pets.  At least not in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers